Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The 2006 Music Review

I started my 2006 Music review in January, but haven't gotten it finished. Since it's March, I figured some is better than none, so here it is

2006 was a pretty good year for music. My tastes lean more towards the heavy stuff, but there were quite a few albums that I think deserve recognition this year.

Pop Album of the year: Corinne Bailey Raeself-titled

While the songs from this album weren’t exactly top-of-the-charts, I did hear them on several venues, including late night talk shows and SNL. Corinne’s voice is full and clear, but still allows smoky jazz undertones. The music is groovy and fun yet has substance. I often pick this to play when entertaining. It sounds a bit like old-school Jazz (Billie Holiday) but her English accent gives it a different twist.

Metal Album of the year: Hatebreed - Supremacy

Hatebreed has been a staple of anti-establishment affirmation metal for some years now. But, I believe this album provides a higher degree of cross-over than any of their previous offerings. Despite its name, Hatebreed is all about building yourself up, rather than tearing others down. Traditionally Hatebreed is "Hardcore", meaning it's not straight metal like Pantera, but has punk undertones and is speadier, without being dubbed "speed metal".

Rock and Roll Album of the year : Black Stone Cherry - Black Stone Cherry

Roadrunner Records has another star with Black Stone Cherry . I first heard Black Stone Cherry on Headbanger's Ball. I thought "this isn't really metal". But what it was was rock and roll. Not since...well, Soundgarden...have I heard a group that reminds me so much like Soundgarden. This is not to say that they sound like Soundgarden, but merely that they remind me of them. Certainly they don't have the distinctive vocals of Chris Cornell, but they have similar cadence, guitars and sound. However, they have a southern lilt to their work, reminiscent of Pantera. These guys are not metal. But, what they also aren't are pop. It's not synthesized, yet it isn't yelling. It is harder than Audioslave and it's not folky like R.E.M. While it sounds like part of a lot of different bands, it is its own entity. Try it out. I was happily surprised by the strength of the album.

Album of the year : Silent Civilian - Rebirth of the Temple

Silent Civilian released its first album in 2006 and I liked it from the first time I heard it. Most people would consider it metal, but I think it is definitely more mainstream, sort of like Avenged Sevenfold. However, I think Silent Civilian’s songs are more diverse than A7X’s stuff. Rebirth of the Temple provides all sorts of sound and feeling. You can understand the lyrics and the music, while catchy and invigorating, isn’t popish or cliquey. It is simple good hard rock-n-roll. This album transcends rock, metal and alternative music. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Honorable Mentions
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (best album since Blood Sugar Sex Magic)
All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
Atreyu - A Death Grip on Yesterday
Buckcherry - 15
Gnarles Barkley - St. Elsewhere
Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape
Helmet - Monochrome (disappointing, but it's still Helmet)
In Extremo - Raue Spree (German Metal with Bagpipes!)
Prince - 3121 (Most complete album since Purple Rain)

No comments: