Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dead deer here

I moved the car to catch the sunlight. I think I noticed the flies first. Or at least the sound of them.

When I went around to photograph the back of the car I smelled something. Often I'll smell a skunk or something out there, but this was...different. It smelled like something bad. Musky. Dead.

As I moved, I saw a cloud of flies take off from a pile of compost someone had dumped. People dump stuff at this place quite a bit, so I hadn't really noticed it. Then the smell hit me again. Stronger this time. Fetid.


That's when I looked closer at the pile. It WAS death I'd smelled. It was a little unsettling even after I figured out what it was. There's been a lot of violence in the news. A recently-discovered body up north was still fresh in my mind as I looked at the carcass. And then I started wondering about scavengers. What about a bear or mountain lion attracted by this? It hadn't been around earlier in the week.


It's interesting. Anatomy is interesting and so is death. It bothers me that a hunter probably dropped it there. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just dispose of it normally. And then THAT got me thinking...why? who? how? It looks like the body has been decomposing for some time. So it's obviously been moved. Maybe someone found it on their property and just didn't want it around. There was also a pile of skin and several legs. I didn't really stick around to find out if it was just one deer or several. It was really starting to smell.



No comments: