Monday, September 03, 2007

Fantasy Sports again

Today is supposed to be the official end of summer. Since Summer is my favorite season, this saddens me a little. Still, I'm on the patio, my plants are doing well, my dog is sitting in the shade, I'm drinking a beer and listening to the latest Wilco album on my outdoor speakers. Tomorrow is Tuesday and the begining of the week, meaning Wednesday will be here before we know it and it's all downhill from there.

Speaking of the end of things, I am officially out of the running in one of my Yahoo! fantasy baseball leagues. The "playoffs" have started and I finished 8th out of 12. It is a head-to-head league and while I never really got trounced in a weekly matchup, I usually lost somthing like 5-4, which isn't enough to make the playoffs. In my other league I've got a good lock on 2nd place out of 12 teams. My offensive numbers are astounding. Of the 5 offensive categories, I have 12 points (max) in 4 of them and a 9 in RBI. It's only pitching that's keeping me from the title. My wins and K's are ok, but everything else is sucky. I'm 13.5 points ahead of the team in position 3, but only 6 back from the leader. There isn't much time left, but I still have a chance.

Also, on Thursday the NFL season starts and I have 3 Fantasy Football teams to watch over. The old CBL is back and Trish and I have what I feel is a pretty strong team. We also have a brother league (Colorado Wine League) going that I am now running. It's been somewhat of a challenge to get this set up, but it's turned out OK so far. I'm also running a Yahoo! free league mainly to keep me knowledgable about players and scoring that isn't in my other two leagues. It pays to know who's hot and who isn't. This year is the first fantasy sports experience for several owners.

This got me thinking about how long I've been doing this kind of thing. I think I ran my first fantasy baseball team back in 1991, meaning this is the 16th year of doing this stuff. My friends here in Colorado used to make fun of me when we'd go to a baseball game and I'd say "hey that guy used to play for the Twins" or "Craig Biggio started off as a catcher" or something like that. Speaking of Biggio, I've seen some great players start (and end) their careers since I've been "playing". I've done fantasy hockey several years too, but the last 5 years I've been focused on Fantasy Football. It's amazing how much the game has changed. We used to have to hand-compile our stats from Baseball Weekly or the USA Today. Now a website takes care of everything for you, including research, lineups, trades, waivers, etc. It's a huge business too. Crazy.

So, here's to the end of one Fantasy season and the begining of another. Let's hope the other "fantasy" season of the Cardinals winning the central (easier than wildcard) comes true too :)

No comments: